Documentary Project 101
I attended my first Documentary Production class on Saturday 24th August. Imagine my disappointment when the lecturer JC said that she would put us in groups of 5. I was more than toying with the idea of doing a documentary on colonial structures in Trinidad. I made contact with the Peshiers, Stollmyers a historian among others to make this dream of mine come to fruition. I just don't think that the other group members might be interested or let alone be passionate about my "baby", so I have decided to do it as my final project. This will give me enough time to prepare. In the meantime, I wait to see who I will be paired with this semester so that we can discuss documentary ideas. Hoping not to work with slackers this time around.
Nevertheless, Saturday's class was quite engaging. I learned the true meaning of the word documentary and the six (6) modes that exist. Which makes me realize that Trinidad & Tobago's style of documentary is somewhat limited in that it is done mainly in a narrative or expository form when there exists other exciting forms to create a documentary such as observational, participatory poetic, reflexive and performative.
I also had a scary cultural experience. JC, the lecturer, was schooled in New Zealand and showed how
New Zealanders meet and greet each other. Let's just say that I thought JC was going to kiss me! WEIRD! # robs nose#
The 13th of September will be the next Documentary Production class as JC will be in Alaska for 2 weeks. Pretty exciting stuff. However I will be blogging again before that time.
Ovwa tout moun!
Sly!
No comments:
Post a Comment